Thomas S. Hoekstra is Senior Counsel at The Hay Legal Group PLLC. Tom graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 1970 with a B.A. degree in Plan II, an advanced liberal arts program. He then attended the University of Texas School of Law and graduated with a J.D. degree in 1973. He has practiced law in the Panhandle, San Antonio, Dallas and, for the last 12 years, back in Austin.
In the course of his legal career, Tom has tried more than 120 civil jury cases to a verdict, and numerous other bench trials and criminal cases. He has represented clients in business matters including real estate, commercial leasing, energy, environmental, corporate, toxic tort, transportation, construction, architecture, banking, telecommunications and aviation.
- Representing multiple real estate investors in forming management entities, condominium regimes and homeowners’ associations.
- Representing property owners in eminent domain proceedings.
- Representing developers in municipal permitting issues.
- Represented major manufacturing facilities in resolving EPA complaints regarding alleged improper discharges.
- Represented a major transportation company in two bankruptcy matters and related environmental matters.
- Represented an international telecommunications company in environmental matters.
- Represented an international aviation company in environmental matters.
- Represented national banking companies in major real estate transactions.
- Represented developers in corporate banking transactions.
- Represented an international financing company in contract matters.
- Prepared draft legislation for a state agency.
- Reviewed, prepared and negotiated complex real estate documents representing owners, contractors, architects and sub-contractors.
- Reviewed, negotiated and prepared merger and acquisition documents for Texas companies.
- Represented a major energy company in complex environmental and toxic tort litigation and settlements.
- Represented a major lender in complex real estate matters, including reviewing, drafting and negotiating conveyance and lending documents.
- Reviewed, drafted and negotiated multiple commercial leases for owners, tenants, and sub-tenants in food service, manufacturing, service, banking and constructions sectors.
- Represented a major family trust in resolving bankruptcy and environmental issues.
- Represented individuals and smaller companies in real estate and litigation matters.
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow, 2011-2017; Life Fellow, 2017-present
- Austin Bar Foundation, 2012 – present
- Dallas Bar Foundation, 2006 – 2008
- Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court, Master of the Bench 2012 – 2019
- Martindale Rating – AV Preeminent
- “Passing the Paddle: Shifting Discipline from Schools to the Courts,” with Karen Watkins, et al., presented to the Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court, Austin, Texas, January 8, 2013.
- “No Room at the Inn Recent Developments in Immigration Law and Policy”, with Ryan Squires, et al., presented to the Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court, Austin, Texas, December 9, 2014
- State Bar of Texas 1973 – present
- Business Law Section 2000 – present
- Bankruptcy Law Section 1984 – 2012
- Environmental and Natural Resources Section 1995 – 2012
- Litigation Section 1986 – 2016
- Oil, Gas and Energy Law Section 2007 – 2016
- Real Estate, Probate and Trust Section 2005 – present
- Austin Bar Association 2008 – present
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- State Bar of Texas