Colin Newberry, a Senior Associate with the Firm, is a native Austinite and graduate of Austin High School. Colin focuses on the Firm’s litigation practice, specifically in real estate, family, and business law.
Colin graduated from the University of Georgia with dual degrees in History and Speech Communications. After graduation, he returned to Texas, graduating cum laude from Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law. While there he earned admission into the Order of the Barristers, given by the faculty to only the most outstanding advocates of each graduating class.
Additionally, his classmates selected him as one of two Kennedy Memorial Scholars, recognizing his “service in student organizations, pro bono service, faculty interaction and dedicated efforts to the betterment of the school and community.”
During his years practicing in Dallas, Colin truly litigated cases, taking many to trial numerous, settled many more without the need of a final trial, and presented oral argument to the Dallas Court of Appeals. Upon returning to Austin and joining the Firm, he has expanded his practice, representing contractors, closely held business disputes, complex divorce proceedings, and numerous landlord-tenant disputes.
- Represented Tenants in suits against Landlords for wrongful withholding of security deposits.
- Represented Investors in suit against the management company and broker of seller for wrongful non-disclosure of hazardous infestation.
- Represented buyer in failure to disclose property deficiency in Sellers Disclosure.
- Settled claims against appraiser for failure to properly inspect property resulting in property purchase with defective roof.
- Defended school district in suits regarding school bus accident claims.
- Successfully granted Summary Judgment against homeowner against realtor for alleged nondisclosure of terms in lenders note.
- Settled claims for sub-contractor against general contractor for breach of oral contract.
- Represented wife in divorce proceedings wherein husband attempted to conceal 12 million shares of vested stock options.
- Evictions of non-paying tenants for Landlord.
- Estate planning and compliance of out of state wills and guardianship papers.
- Represented property owner against property manager for misappropriation of funds and security deposits.
- Represented landowner in right to easement by estoppel.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Texas State Bar
- Texas Association of Young Lawyers
- Dallas or Austin Young Lawyer Association member since 2010
- Dallas Area Young Lawyers Leadership Class, 2012
- Austin Area Young Lawyers Leadership Class, 2013
- Austin Area Young Lawyer’s Pro Bono “Prom King,” 2012
- Raised over $30,000 benefitting Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid
- Featured in the Texas Bar Journal, October 2012
- “A Southern Gent”
- SMU Moot Court Coach
- 2011 Pepperdine Entertainment Law National Champions
- J.D., Southern Methodist Dedman School of Law, 2010, cum laude
- B.A., University of Georgia, 2005